#014 - Simão lagoa - top 10 tips to getting your visual's right
Nicholla speak with Simão Lagoa, Entrepreneur Graphic Designer who is originally from Portugal but now lives and works in Melbourne, Australia. Simão draws on his 15 years of experience and insight to help shed some important advise and tips on getting your visual right.
Simão shares with us the system and thought process behind getting your visual rights. These are the corner stone points and he takes us through them one by one explaining their meaning and intent. So if you use a graphic designer and want to know what goes on behind the scenes or are looking for helpful guidance on what to expect when creating your visuals or what questions to ask your graphic designer then this is the podcast for you. I learnt quite a bit here so I think you will enjoy this podcast. Listen below.
Inside this Episode
- TIP 1. WHAT IS YOUR GOAL? Your intent of using visuals is to serve a purpose or a function and create an action or a 'call to action'. You should create a brief which highlights the direction, purpose and outcome you want to achieve. Be it a long term or short term goal. So for example you want to drive traffic to your Facebook Page or your Twitter account.
- TIP 2. DO RESEARCH. See what your competition has done and what has worked for them. Identify the key points and see what you can learn from them for your upcoming campaign. You don't have to recreate the wheel you just adapt and realign what has worked for similar products or services and work these details into your brief.
- (as a side not to this Simão clarifies the difference between function and art which are both serve different purposes.)
- TIP 3. GET YOUR PUBLIC'S PROSPECTIVE. Try and see what your public are seeing. What you see and write doesn't always translate well to your audience. Its crucial your visual and messages connect with their pain factors or their problems which you can solve. So getting their prospective can help immensely with focusing in on your visuals and your message.
- TIP 4: COLOUR PHYSIOLOGY. Simão shares here the emotion and reaction that colour has on us. We may not be consciously aware of colour has on us but it creates a feeling or stirs emotions every time we see it. Understanding this relationship can heavily impact the outcome of your message. Simão encourages everyone to try and understand colour and how to match colour which is a huge part of graphic design.
- TIP 5: USE A GRID. Simão explains the importance of a grid and how we should respect it and live by it. It helps you visually organise the visual content of what you are looking at. I got a bit confused in this because it didn't make sense initially. Why a grid? Really? But as he explained the point and I looked around my office it made sense. Grids create balance, organisation and space. We see it every where we are just not aware of it. have a look around and see if yoiu can see the order and harmony on the products in your cupboards, on your books, in newspapers and more.
- TIP 6: TRY AND BE ORIGINAL AND NOT TO BE AFRAID OF BEING CREATIVE. Creativity is deeply tied to personal beliefs, thought patterns and a percentage of information you get everyday. We are all creative, be it visually, with words, through material we are all creative and we can all turn to our own sources when we need them.
- TIP 7: UNDERSTAND THE RESTRICTIONS & OUTCOMES OF YOUR PROJECT. Understand what the final piece will turn into so that you can ensure the proper unique characteristics of that results are brought on board from the start. e.g. know the paper you are going to use, know your colours, know your margins.
- TIP 8: GET FEEDBACK. Ask for feedback and try not to look at the feedback as a personal attack. I Know its hard, we never like hearing 'negative' feedback but if you can find your way to see it as something to learn from and embrace what is being said.
- TIP 9: WHENEVER POSSIBLE TEST YOUR DESIGNS. What Simao means by this is test drive your visual's where they may appear to see how it looks and feels. Simao uses Facebook as his example here and I think its a rather nifty way of testing your designs before you finally let them go. This testing will naturally feed back into your process of getting your visuals right.
- TIP 10: HAVE FUN. Don't forget this part. If you don't enjoy what you are doing you will not have the same amount of perseverance and drive to make this visual as great as it can be.
In addition Simão shares where he goes for personal and professional inspiration; one of which is a website called www.fromupnorth.com . He also shares with us what he does when he is struggling with generating with a brief or inspiration and his answer is 'simplification'. Break it down to the core of the message, the nuts and bolts of it and letting go of what has been so that you allow your own creativity and challenges of developing the brief naturally come to the surface. He explains more in the podcast.
He has a special offer for the listeners of the 'Learning Curve Podcast' - he is offering a 40% discount for the next 3 days on his Facebook Personal and Facebook Business design pack
2 Timeline Covers, 2 Profile photos & 10 Image Posts*
3 Timeline covers, 3 Profiles photos & 25 Image Posts*
This offer is available at
This is a password protected area & the password for access is
(just copy and paste this password in).
Interested in Being a Guest on The Learning Curve? Learn More Here
More Great social media conversations
Please let us know your thoughts, questions and comments.
Helpful Connections in Abu Dhabi
- Join our associated Facebook group Partner 'Abu Dhabi - where Can I Find to help you find what you are looking for in Abu Dhabi.
- Check out our list of Abu Dhabi Facebook Groups to help you get connected and get yourself out there.
- Like our Facebook Fan page and help share out this podcast to help more of the community be more informed.
- Connect with Nicholla on Twitter @NickH2
- Please like our Facebook Fan Page
- Please connect with Nicholla in Linkedin