#015 - Simão lagoa - 5 mistakes to avoid if you are creating your own artwork for your product/service/brand
Nicholla speak with Simão Lagoa, Entrepreneur Graphic Designer who is originally from Portugal but now lives and works in Melbourne, Australia. Simãodraws on his 15 years of experience and insight to help shed some important mistakes we should avoid if we are going to take on the creation of our own visual graphic for our businesses.
When we are starting out or even well into our first few years as a start up we all want to try and keep costs to a minimum so if you are going to venture into creating your own visuals then have a listen to this and make sure you can avoid these mistakes. This warm and easy to listen to podcast really offers great advise and offers up some great suggestions of tools and resources to use if you are going it alone. Enjoy and let us know your thoughts.
Inside this Episode
- His FIRST top MISTAKE to avoid is 'stay away from 3000 cool fonts and thousands of clip art images. He uses a great term for this 'Graphic Zoos' - brilliant play on words.
- 2nd MISTAKE: STAY SAFE with the images you are using. BEWARE of copywrite laws. Just taking something from Google images isn't a good idea.
- 3rd MISTAKE: Don't OVERUSE the STOCK Photography. This was a funny point because it totally contradicted the point being made in mistake number 2. We did laugh!. :) His key point he was making though was 'Less is More'.... have a listen.
- 4th MISTAKE: Don't make a fun theme park of colours. Don't over indulge in the usage of colours and think about colour harmony and colour physiology.
- 5th MISTAKE: Do NOT BOLD EVERY SINGLE THING. Every Now and again wisely break that rule. Minimise using Bold on call to actions
In addition Simão shares where he goes for personal and professional inspiration; one of which is a website called www.fromupnorth.com . He also suggestions some sites that he thinks are great tools for those wanting to go it alone and create their own visual graphics. His suggestions include www.picmonkey.com, www.canva.com, trendycovers.com
Simão also has a special offer for the listeners of the 'Learning Curve Podcast' - he is offering a 40% discount for the next 3 days on his Facebook Personal and Facebook Business design pack
2 Timeline Covers, 2 Profile photos & 10 Image Posts*
3 Timeline covers, 3 Profiles photos & 25 Image Posts*
*This offer is just for the next 3 days and will expire on the 12/11/2014. Its SUPER offer and one that you must check out.
This offer is available at
This is a password protected area & the password for access is
(just copy and paste this password in).
Interested in Being a Guest on The Learning Curve? Learn More Here
More Great social media conversations
Please let us know your thoughts, questions and comments.
Helpful Connections in Abu Dhabi
- Join our associated Facebook group Partner 'Abu Dhabi - where Can I Find to help you find what you are looking for in Abu Dhabi.
- Check out our list of Abu Dhabi Facebook Groups to help you get connected and get yourself out there.
- Like our Facebook Fan page and help share out this podcast to help more of the community be more informed.
- Connect with Nicholla on Twitter @NickH2
- Please like our Facebook Fan Page
- Please connect with Nicholla in Linkedin