#63 - 'If you want to Be a Diamond, you have to bear the cutting', says Doaa Adel El Eraqy, Tech Entrepreneur & Mentor, Founder of Arab Womenpreneur & Co Founder of She is Back. (Cairo, Egypt)
The Learning Curve Podcast - THE Podcast for Women Entrepreneurs in the Middle East.
How many tech women entrepreneurs do you know? How many have you read about in the news? Well surprisingly there isn't that many. Type into Google 'Why are there not many women tech entrepreneurs' and you will be quite surprised to learn that there are quite a few articles about it. A tech entrepreneur is someone who focuses their business on development of technology to help solve a problem. Surprisingly there are not many. So when we found Doaa in Egypt, the learning curve podcast was excited because here is a women who is by profession a software engineer AND plans to make it her mission to activate the next generation of arab women in technology - I just knew she needed to be on our show.
Doaa, is lover of the STEM curriculum. She's been passionate about Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. She wants to help empower more women to be in technology businesses and see them become leaders in business aswell as adding value to the economy.
Doaa, is leading the charge on this one by creating two platforms that encourage women to become tech entrepreneurs. She is the Founder of Arab Womenpreneurs Hub, an online hub for women entrepreneurs in the entire MENA region and Co founder of She is Back, a returnship program for women in STEM who have been disconnected from the workforce and are interested to join again. She's definately a women on a mission and through this interview we learn about her platforms but also about her and the energy and passion behind this women who ceases every opportunity to be an advocate for the Arab women. Watch this space because this lady is making positive changes in the MENA region.
The Audio Interview
'She is on a mission to activate the next generation of arab women in technology.'
Doaa Adel El Eraqy's Bio
Tech Entreprenur and a mentor. Founder of Arab womenPreneurs, an online hub for women entreprenurs in the entire MENA region. She has started that with a vision to“build new generations of women who think of entrepreneurship as a way of life”. A hub that teaches women entrepreneurs how to turn their ideas into thriving startups and create new opportunities for all women. She is cofounded, a won seed grant from big techcompanies in U.S..,She is Back!, a returnship program for women in STEM who have been disconnected from the workforce and are interested to join again. A program to help them rebuild their own skills again agiving them an edge and help them to gain companies trust after the break. Awarded from the U.S departement of state as 2015 TechWoman Emerge leader representing Egypt .Awarded twice for her support for women entrepreneurs in Dubai. been featured and represented as Tech WOmen entrepreneur from Dubai in a UK magazine in its special edition about women in Dubai. Was a mentor in the first hackathon for women in Dubai and her team mobile game was selected the best entertaining game. Has experience in Software Engineering, Digital Marketing, how to convert an idea into a thriving startup. A certified Scrum Master under Scrum Alliance after getting a training in U.S. A certified Inbound Marketing under HubSpot Academy.
Writing her first business plan when she was 19 years old. Her graduation project was selected as one of the top 30 in a business competition and she was recognised for excellence during her postgraduate course in computer science at the Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport.
She is on a mission to activate the next generation of Arab Women in Technology! "
The Interview Questions
1. Tell us a little bit about yourselves? How your particular journeys into entrepreneurship came about?
2. Tell us a little bit about your Arab Women entrepreneur hub, what's its focus and who is it for
3. Tell us about your new initiative She is back which you are lauhing in 2016 whats the focus here and who is it for
4. You recently won the Tech women emerging Leader 2015 - what was this about and how proud of this are you?
5. What is your overall vision for all these projects?
6. How was the transition from Career to entrepreneur for you as you are a started as a software engineer?
7. Can you give us an insight into day to day business activities? How do you organise your day and how do you prioritize? What systems do you have in place so you can achieve the best for you and your businesses?
8. How Did you get your credibility quickly?
9. How important has collaboration and partnerships been with the success of your work? Do you think you can had the same success without them?
10. What was the single most important decision you made that contributed to your success?
11. Is social media a large part of your businesses and what tools are working for you right now?
12. How have you been able to continue to learn and grow yourself to fill your knowledge bank and still have the time to work on your platforms?
13. What is the best piece of business advise you have ever been given? And how is that working for you right now?
14. How (if ever) did you rise above failure or struggle? What action did you take?
15. Where do you see yourself in the next 10 years? How do you think your businesses will have evolved?
16. How do you think being an entrepreneur has affected your family life and your relationships with your friends?
17.Who is your ‘go to person, book or quote’ that gets you pumped and helps you refocus when you are feeling de-motivated or low?
18. What books or resources would you encourage other women to explore to help them learn more about entrepreneurship and strategy?
19. If you could time travel back to your younger self, say 18 years old and have 15min with your former self to communicate any lessons you've acquired with the intention of saving yourself mistakes and heart ache, what would you tell yourself?
20. Closing question: Where do you think you are on your own learning curve of learning about your business as well as personally.
Connect With Doaa
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com
Phone: +971559300454 , +201023305055
Social media connections
Doaa in the Media
Innovation You- JEFF DEGRAFF,
- How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be: The 25 Principles of Success, Jack Canfield
- Thinking, Fast and Slow ,Daniel Kahneman
Do you have a question? Let us know your comments and feedback. We would love to hear from you?
Subscribe To Our Podcast
Subscribe to our Newsletter